When creating an inviting and functional outdoor space, awnings are popular for many home and business owners. With so many options available, it’s challenging to determine which awning is best for your needs. Two popular options are folding arm awnings and retractable roofs. This post will compare the two and help you decide the right option for your property’s needs.
What are folding arm awnings?
A retractable awning that folds up when not in use is known as a folding arm awning. They are often built to extend over a patio, deck or other outside area and affixed to the building’s exterior. Depending on the sun’s location, they may be controlled manually or electrically and adjusted to various degrees.
Folding arm awnings are well-known for their flexibility and ease of use since many models are remotely controlled. Folding arm awnings are an excellent choice for those who want a low-maintenance solution, which is ideal for small to medium-sized outdoor spaces, such as patios and decks, making them an excellent alternative to fixed awnings.
Here are some examples of situations where folding arm awnings might be suitable for both residential and commercial setups.
- Patios or decks to offer shade and sun protection without taking up much room, since you can fold and tuck them away when not in use.
- As coverings for outdoor furniture like seating areas, grills and other fixtures. It can also be used for small gardens or outdoor spaces for temporary coverage.
- They are ideal for any residential area with erratic weather, since they are simple to adjust or retract according to where or what you want to protect.
- Restaurants and cafés with outdoor seating areas as they provide shade and protect diners from the sun while giving the space a professional look when needed.
- Retail shops with outdoor display areas in order to protect merchandise from the sun and other elements while providing a visually appealing display for customers.
What are retractable roofs?
Retractable roofs resemble folding arm awnings, providing shade and protection from the elements. However, instead of folding up, retractable roofs concertina back in pleats, with fixed posts and rafters. This type of awning is typically larger than a folding arm awning and can cover larger outdoor spaces and provide year-round weather protection.
Using a retractable roof has several advantages, including that it may completely cover your outside area. In addition, they are made to be stronger than folding arm awnings and survive adverse weather.
Retractable roofs are an excellent choice for those with larger outdoor spaces or who live in harsher weather conditions. They provide maximum protection and can be ideal for entertaining in outdoor areas.
Here are some situations where retractable roofs might be suitable for your residential or commercial setup.
- On your patio or barbeque area, which you can use year-round to make the space more comfortable and useable by shielding it from the sun, wind and rain.
- Larger outside areas, such as a deck or pool, to provide shade and protection for outdoor furniture and other fixtures.
- Restaurants and bars with outdoor seating areas can benefit from adding a retractable roof, creating a comfortable outdoor space that can be used all year round, regardless of weather conditions.
- Event spaces and wedding locations to provide a covered outdoor area to offer shade for guests.
- Outdoor areas of office buildings or commercial spaces to create a comfortable and versatile space for employees to host meetings with colleagues, take breaks or host events.
Comparing retractable awnings vs folding arm awnings
When choosing between folding arm awnings and retractable roofs, there are several factors to consider. Here are some pros and cons of each option:
Folding arm awnings
- Pros — Flexibility, ease of use, lower cost
- Cons — Smaller coverage area, less durable
- Pros — Full coverage, durability, better protection from elements
- Cons — Higher cost, more complex installation, less flexibility
Your particular requirements and preferences will ultimately determine which awning is best. Folding arm awnings may be preferable if you want a practical answer for a small to a medium-sized outdoor area. A retractable roof can be better if you have a bigger outside space and prefer the finest weather protection.
You may build a functional and aesthetically pleasing outdoor space by weighing the benefits and drawbacks of retractable roofs and folding arm awnings in addition to your particular needs and preferences.
Feel free to get professional guidance if you need help deciding between retractable awnings vs folding arm awnings. Ozsun is a reputable and trusted Sydney-based company that can assist you in locating the best solution for your needs. We offer many shade systems, including folding arm awnings, retractable roof systems, conservatory awnings, louvred roofs, window awnings, Carbolite awnings, designer umbrellas, blinds and shutters. Contact us today for a quick estimate and take the first step towards transforming your outdoor space!