Retractable roof systems are quite commonly overlooked by customers when they are choosing an outdoor awning. The main reason for this is a lack of understanding about what a retractable roof is and what functionality the retractable roof systems have over other awnings.
Our outdoor lifestyle consultants spend a great deal of time educating our customers about the pro’s and cons of a retractable roof. In this blog post we will be explaining how we assist our customers in choosing the right retractable roof, whether it be for commercial or residential premises.
What is a retractable roof, and Why Does it Matter?
A retractable roof is a roof system which is designed to retract to let the sunlight in on a beautiful winter’s day, or at the touch of a button can be extended to provide shelter from rain and other elements.
As the roof system fabric is 100% waterproof and UV treated, the retractable roof is the perfect solution for any homeowner who enjoys outdoor entertaining but does not want to permanently block the sun from their entertaining space.
One of the many benefits of the retractable roof is that it will protect your furniture from the Harsh Australian sun, making your furniture stay looking perfect for longer and increasing the lifespan of your outdoor awning.
The first question we ask our clients when we start assisting them with their outdoor entertaining space is, ‘How do you intend on using your entertaining area?’. If the question is to have an all-weather, all year-round entertaining space, then the retractable roof is the obvious solution for us to achieve our client’s outdoor lifestyle goals.
How is a retractable roof different to a retractable awning?
Retractable roof systems operate using a metal frame which has permanent posts and rafters. The benefit of these rafters is that they create a sturdy frame which provides higher wind tolerance and also the rafters allow the system to be used in rain, as the fabric is pulled taut, which does not allow for water to gather on top of the system.
A retractable awning is predominately for use as a sunshade system and should be retracted during rain or storms. Retractable roof systems can tolerate all weather – all year round.
How to Choose the right retractable roof?
In choosing the right retractable roof we have put together a few questions that you can ask your sales consultant that will assist you better in understanding the quality and features of your retractable roof system.
There are many brands of retractable roof systems on the Australian market, many of them imported from countries with completely different climates to that of Australia, so its important that you understand where your product originates from and its use in the Australian climate over time.
Any good quality premium roof producer should be able to easily answer these questions and point out the features and benefits of their product.
Questions we encourage our clients to ask when enquiring about retractable roof systems are as follows.
- How long has the manufacturer of the roof system been manufacturing the system in Australia?
- Where is the after-market support located? Are parts stocked locally if I need assistance in the future?
- What is the warranty on my retractable roof, and does it extend to the powder coating?
- Does the manufacturer comply with Australian standards, can I see the Australian Standards certificate?
- How long is the warranty, and what does it cover?
Hints and tips when finalising your purchasing decision and maintaining the quality of the product after purchasing.
- Choose Sunblock fabrics, these completely block out any UV’s and are easier to clean and longer lasting than translucent fabrics.
- Dulux Duralloy powder coating is recommended, however if you are closer to the ocean, we suggest investing in Duratec powder coating colours with frequently scheduled maintenance to keep the salt off your roof system frame.
- Keep your awning regularly cleaned, if accessibility is a challenge for you, we recommend Adam Brewer at Shade care for all your awning cleaning needs. You can read more about service care & maintenance here.
# Tips and Reminders for retractable roof systems
Remember that a retractable roof is an investment that will increase the overall value of your home and increase your outdoor living space. As with any products, you get what you pay for, so be sure to invest in a premium quality retractable roof to enhance your home. Our premium retractable roof systems are hand built here in Australia, which have been designed and engineered in Europe with craftsman-like attention to detail.
In short, retractable roof systems are a valuable asset to any home addition.
Still need some more help? Contact our friendly team by submitting a Quick Estimate on our website.