Folded arm awnings and retractable roofs are two types of shading systems commonly used to provide protection and coverage while enhancing the look of your outdoor space.
In this blog, we’ll dive into the differences between folding arm awnings vs. retractable roofs and highlight the pros and cons of both options so you can see which is most suitable for your space.
The key differences between folding arm awnings vs. retractable roofs
- Design and structure — A retractable roof consists of a solid or semi-solid structure often made of rigid materials like metal that can be extended or retracted horizontally or vertically, providing full coverage to the designated area when extended. On the other hand, folding arm awnings are typically made of fabric or canvas and are supported by a system of articulated arms. When extended, the arms unfold and the fabric is stretched to create a shaded area.
- Coverage — Retractable roofs provide fuller coverage and superior protection from the elements. These awnings are motorised and designed to extend and retract horizontally from the ends of fixed posts, covering a larger area than folding arm awnings.
- Installation and maintenance — Folding arm awnings are more flexible and easier to install or put away as needed. However, they can be less durable, which could incur additional maintenance costs. Meanwhile, retractable roofs are durable, less flexible and cost more to install while requiring less maintenance.
- Cost — The cost of foldable arm awnings can vary depending on the size, quality of fabric and additional features. However, retractable roofs are typically more expensive due to their complex design, materials and installation requirements. The motorised versions further add to the price tag.
Pros and cons of folding arm awnings
There are several factors to consider when selecting a folding arm awning, including:
- Lower costs — One of the key advantages of folding arm awnings is their relatively low cost compared to retractable roofs. They are generally more affordable to purchase and install, making them a popular choice for budget-conscious individuals.
- Ease of use — Their more straightforward design and installation process means they can be integrated into different outdoor spaces, such as patios, decks or balconies.
- Limited durability — While these awnings are typically made from durable materials, their hinged arms and moving parts may be more susceptible to wear and tear over time, potentially requiring more frequent maintenance or replacement.
- Smaller coverage — Due to their folding design, they offer a smaller coverage area compared to retractable roofs.
Pros and cons of retractable roofs
- Fuller, larger coverage area — Retractable roofs are ideal for large public spaces, such as social spaces, concerts, festivals and sporting arenas.
- Durability — They are made of higher-quality materials that can withstand various weather conditions. This allows them to be used as permanent or long-term fixtures, and they often demand less maintenance, making them cost-effective for the large spaces that require them.
- Higher costs — The durability of retractable roofs comes with a higher cost compared to folding arm awnings. Everything from the materials, technology and installation will increase the overall price.
- More complex installation and maintenance — The complex installation process may involve structural considerations and the need for professional assistance. Additionally, the motorised operation and advanced mechanisms of retractable roofs may require occasional servicing or repairs.
Choosing the right protection for your outdoor space
Both options have their pros and cons, but consider the following points to help you make an informed decision when choosing between folding arm awnings vs. retractable roofs:
- Purpose and function — Determine the primary purpose of the outdoor space. Do you want to provide shade from the sun, protect against rain, or create a versatile space that can stand up nicely to harsh and unexpected weather conditions?
- Size and layout — Consider the size and layout of your outdoor space to help you determine the type, style and size of protection that will work best for you.
- Climate and weather conditions — Assess your area’s climate and weather conditions — you’ll need protection with materials that can withstand harsh elements.
- Flexibility and adjustability — Consider how much flexibility and adjustability you desire. Adjustable solutions, such as retractable roofs or folding arm awnings, can adapt to changing weather conditions and provide versatility in controlling shade and sunlight.
- Aesthetics and integration — Consider the aesthetic appeal and how the protection will integrate with the overall design of your outdoor space. Look for options that complement the existing architecture and style, ensuring a cohesive and visually pleasing look.
- Installation and maintenance — Evaluate the different protection options’ installation requirements and maintenance needs. Some structures may require professional installation, while others are more DIY-friendly.
- Budget — Set a budget for your outdoor protection project. The cost will vary depending on the type of protection and materials used — but don’t forget to consider installation and maintenance costs.
Enjoy the outdoors your way with Ozsun Shade Systems
Now that we’ve delved into the differences between folding arm awnings vs. retractable roofs, all that’s left to do is enjoy the outdoor lifestyle your way!
You can review our gallery to see how Ozsun can protect your space from the elements with a broad range of awnings, retractable roof systems, designer umbrellas and more.
With our beginnings in the 1880s and a team with over 20 years of experience, we’re the best in the business. But don’t take our word for it; check out our reviews and experience the ultimate shade and protection with Ozsun — Sydney’s leading awning and blinds company.
Not located in Sydney? No worries! We ship our top-quality awnings and blinds anywhere across Australia. Contact us now for a quick estimate, and get started on having fun while staying protected from the sun!